New Website

Announcements about updates to the forum and website

New Website

Postby markvader » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:52 am

Hi Guys

New UUJCC website has been launched. Still more updates to the theme (to match our colours) to be done.

Features
- Upgraded forum software, cleaner look, ability to subscribe to forums/topics so you're notified of updates, lots more.

- All sections of the site are customizable by way of the forum. e.g. homepage, Downloads, Videos, Contact Info, About us.
At the minute committee members have access to make these changes.

- Journal - open for everyone to post their trip reports. All old stories have been moved over from the old bravejournal site. Everyone has the ability to post trip reports and comment using their own login details. If everyone could make the effort to post a wee message if you've been out kayaking or been on a trip, it would give all club members both future and present an idea of what we get up to in the club. It also gives people an idea of what to expect on club trips and/or who to speak to if you want to find out particular information on a paddling venue thats been mentioned in a report. Dont be afraid to to write reports for anything in the past...the more the merrier.

- Videos - A page to highlight club members videos.

- Links Directory - At the minute its just links, more info will come

- Downloads - to make it handy to find important documents.

You can now share topics to facebook/twitter/and other social networks.
[See up there, (top left) where it says "New Website" when you hover over it a wee bubble appears, click and drag it to open a window to the social world.]

Could I get you all to go check out the different parts of the website.
- Tell me whats broken and needs fixed.
- What features would you like to see.

Logins etc should be the same as before. (I noticed a few missing avatars. This is usually because you're hot linking them of another site, and the image has been moved. Upload them to this site or stick them on a photo sharing site like photobucket)

If anyone has any photos that would make good header images, send them to me.

If you discover any of the many bugs let me know and i'll get them fixed.

Cheers

Mark
Last edited by markvader on Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removed references to climbing and replaced with the proper sporting references
"How the F*#k did you work that out?"
-- Pythagoras, 126 BC

"You want WHAT on the f*~#ing ceiling?"
-- Michelangelo, 1566
markvader

Re: New Website

Postby Mary » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:26 pm

Hi all,
Nice refresh. Mark its a little one, but have you also made the UUJ climbing website look beautiful recently (if your still on, run a search and replace on "climbing" in your first post, then delete this comment if you want and its the perfect crime)?

Mary
Mary

Postby markvader » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:33 pm

Mary wrote:Hi all,
Nice refresh. Mark its a little one, but have you also made the UUJ climbing website look beautiful recently (if your still on, run a search and replace on "climbing" in your first post, then delete this comment if you want and its the perfect crime)?

Mary

Hi Mary

Perfectly valid comment, glad someones been reading it, yesh, ive been working on the other one too so i did copy/paste a paragraph or two.
I'll update the post now

thanks

Me
-- Pythagoras, 126 BC

-- Michelangelo, 1566
markvader

Postby Mary » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:35 pm

Mark,
First part of the comment still stands, I really like the new look, well done, I think it looks great.

Mary
Mary

Postby amccoy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:22 am

The clock is wrong. says its an hour earlier than it is. no biggie just thought id say. forum looks awesome now though!
amccoy

Postby markvader » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:26 pm

amccoy wrote:The clock is wrong. says its an hour earlier than it is. no biggie just thought id say. forum looks awesome now though!

It is the Daylight savings time setting in the user control panel (yours was set to off). I changed everyones to on just to make it simpler (since most of the registered users are in the same part of the world)

If you ever need to change clock settings these can be found here. ucp.php?i=173
-- Pythagoras, 126 BC

-- Michelangelo, 1566
markvader

Postby markvader » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:52 pm

Two updates to the website.

1. Ive created a range of header images (25+), so you should get a random image everytime you refresh any page on the website. (Leonard said he was getting scared everytime he saw Michael and his scary faces :twisted: ). If anyone has any more suitable (or unsuitable) images, send them to me and i'll add them to the selection.

2. The forum is now Tapatalk enabled.

This free downloadable app helps mobile users with Apple iOS, Android and Blackberry devices use our forum that bit more easily on smaller screens.

Major features
- Auto-save your account information, no need to login every-time
- Private Messaging and Notification (Notify you when new message arrives)
- Photos Upload and Download feature
- Forum and Topic Subscription
-- Pythagoras, 126 BC

-- Michelangelo, 1566
markvader

Postby markvader » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:41 pm

The subscribe functionality is enabled on the message board. Subscribing to either a forum or topic will notify you when there is an update to the topic or forum on the board via your preferred method or methods (I get it via email).

How do I subscribe to specific forums or topics?
To subscribe to a specific forum, click the “Subscribe forum” link at the bottom of the page when entering each of the forums.

Canoeing Chat - http://uujcc.com/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=4
Announcements - http://uujcc.com/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=6
Club Events - http://uujcc.com/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=1
Wee Trips - http://uujcc.com/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=5
Coaching - http://uujcc.com/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=11 - link will only work for those with coaching access
Committee - http://uujcc.com/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=2 - link will only work for those with committee access

sub.jpg
sub.jpg (23.79 KiB) Viewed 7076 times

To subscribe to a topic, reply to the topic with the subscribe checkbox checked or click the “Subscribe topic” link within the topic itself.

You can see which forums or topics you are subscribed in the user control panel
http://uujcc.com/phpbb3/ucp.php?i=main&mode=subscribed

More info if your stuck in the FAQ (or ask if you have questions) - http://uujcc.com/phpbb3/faq.php#f8r0
-- Pythagoras, 126 BC

-- Michelangelo, 1566
markvader

Postby Jennymoo ]:@ » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:56 pm

I just got the tappatalk app. Must say forum looks veery nice on it. Nice job!! First time I've ever paid for an app well worth it :)
Jennymoo ]:@

Postby Jennymoo ]:@ » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:16 am

getting a few glitches for both forums in tapatalk, mostly when threads are in global announcements it think. It'll say 'topic not found' when u click on it. Not a biggy, it normally works after a couple of goes or if you switch from 'unread' to 'all' sections and look for the topic there and vice versa.

Postby markvader » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:17 pm

Jennymoo ]:@ wrote:getting a few glitches for both forums in tapatalk, mostly when threads are in global announcements it think. It'll say 'topic not found' when u click on it. Not a biggy, it normally works after a couple of goes or if you switch from 'unread' to 'all' sections and look for the topic there and vice versa.

Thats the pesky iphone I think, working as expected on android. i'll see if theres any updates to the tapatalk plugin
-- Pythagoras, 126 BC

-- Michelangelo, 1566
markvader

Postby Jennymoo ]:@ » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:28 pm

it works ok most of the time and just needs a few tries to get some of the threads to load. Still awesome like.

Return to Announcements